Saturday, April 23, 2011

Is Religion Pure Insanity?

Apparently there's this little holiday in Latin America called Semana Santa. I never knew about it because it didn't show up on Stevie's "Fireman of The Year" calendar that we use for event planning. I later learned that this is just Easter without the bunny, so the little kids down here are getting hosed in my opinion.

On this particular holiday everyone in the entire country heads for the beach. So we decided to go inland to the mountains. The surf sucked anyway and we've been wanting to see the cloud forest. The mountains of Costa Rica are surprisingly large. We left the beach and drove uphill for damn near 3 hours. Finally we topped out at what I assume was the famous cloud forest. I'm sure it is beautiful if you can see through clouds. I cannot and found the driving incredibly challenging.



Our destination for the day was a little mountain town called Orosi. Back in the 90s a couple friends of mine had started a kayak company and named it after this town. I wanted to go see why. It was also on the way to our next destination which was Turrialba. This was the town I went to back in 1991 when I was training with the US Olympic Kayak Team. We spent 3 winters here training for the race season. I have many fond memories of the place and can't wait to see how it has changed in 20 years. Oh my god, did I just say that? Man I'm getting old.

On our way to Orosi we saw displays of Semana Santa everywhere. Stevie and I had just watched an amazing documentary called Constantine's Sword (more info here). Watch it, it's good.  It explores the dark side of Christianity. I found it very interesting that the cross did not even exist in the religion until over 300 years after Christ died. It was introduced by Constantine as a symbol for conquering others in war. It had a tag line that read "In Hoc Signo Vinces", which means "By This symbol you will conquer". Millions of people have been murdered over the last 2000 years in religious wars. And the madness continues today.

"Religion is an important part. I believe we ought to love our neighbor like we love ourself. That's manifested in public policy through the faith-based initiative where we've unleashed the armies of compassion. I believe that God wants everybody to be free. That's what I believe. And that's part of my foreign policy. I believe that freedom is a gift from the Almighty. And I can't tell you how encouraged I am to see freedom on the march. And so my principles that I make decisions on are a part of me. And religion is a part of me." 
- George W Bush


The armies of compassion have incidentally murdered tens of thousands of innocent men, women, and children in the middle east over the last 10 years. But when freedom is on the march, we just call that collateral damage. Newsflash all you nutty religious zealots - Jesus didn't kill! He didn't even fight. He would not have supported any war no matter how it was justified. He was an enlightened, peaceful, loving man and he would have thought you were F@CKING crazy. Why do people blindly follow this madness? Because religion is pure insanity.

Ok, I'm sure that will piss some people off. Happy Easter. Carry on. TREE

19 comments:

Kyle said...

Amen! What a bunch of kooks.

Heather and Scott said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for an awesome post. The post is educational and hilarious all at the same time. You might be interested in Scott's post about the "War on Christmas". Love your blog, keep it up.

Anonymous said...

ITS ALL TRUE, sadly. Every damn thing.
Only the bunnies are worthy.
And chocolate.

Darren said...

I love how Ted Haggard, that leader from that crazy Evangelical New Life Church, was busted with a male prostitute and he was high on Meth. That idiot has filed lawsuits on behalf of his church so they could go onto military bases to try and convert soldiers to Christianity. Like you pointed out, real followers of Jesus would not ethically be able to join a military. Turning the other cheek is a phrase in Christian doctrine that refers to responding to an aggressor without violence.

In the Sermon on the Mount in the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus says:
You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.' But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.
—Matthew 5:38-42, NIV

That rules out your stupid war George.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, happy easter

Serrana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Miin and Niel, Made of Love said...

Love this post, you guys are both hilarious and very wise. Religion is a sham, and I am SO watching that doco when I can get my hands on it. Semana Santa has been in full swing here, turning lovely little quiet Salento into a madhouse of crazy drunken Catholics with tiny dressed up inbred dogs, happy to throw their cash at anything to show off how much they have. Yeah, surely Jesus was into that! Consumerism! Been manning this hostel (which you have to visit when you are here.. I promise you will love it.. Laserrana.com.co) over the break.. eekness!

Hope we get to catch ya on the flipside.. which part of May are you planning to get to Colombia?

Happy Trails!

Timothy said...

Nice post. We'll for sure check out that documentary. "There are those who think that if they call themselves something that will make it true. So they say, I am a Man of God,a people of religion, a holy one, but it is only a name to them. It is on their tongue but doesn't touch their heart. For if it was in their hearts, they would not come among us with hate, but with love." Mother Rytasha

Kris y Ken y Duffie said...

Hola kids! We're back in California awaiting spring..brr. Spot on about religion. Jesus would weep.
I'm going to blog but I'm too busy with my blues harmonica practice..xoxo Kris y Ken y Duffie

Alexis Schulman said...

Ew I can't believe there was a quote from George W.on the post. ew ew ew. 10 Hail Mary's for you guys to repent!!! Haha. I agree though, I do believe Jesus would be ashamed of the way Christianity has defiled his beliefs to suit their own egos for glory, power, and greed. Which, Jesus was against. I love Bill Mahr's "Religulous" movie/documentary. Happy Easter!!! aka Christianity's passive aggressive way to celebrate Jesus rising from the dead and overshadow the Jewish Passover and the Pagan fertility celebrations. :)

john said...

I'll bite. First of all you need to let it go with George Bush. Don't let the hatred eat you up man. Just an FYI for all you heathen non-Christians out there when "we Christians" are not out killing natives and judging all others we Actually find time to help others.
http://www.wvi.org/wvi/wviweb.nsf
http://www.amor.org/
To name a couple........

John 14-6 "I am the way the truth and the life. No man comes to the Father excepth through me.".

Tree, I think you miss the point here. It's faith and salvation through Christ not through Christians. News flash........Christians sin, every aspect of sin; murder, rape, infidelity, etc. So does every other aspect of society.

As for the cross, it's just a symbol. There is scripture for that too.

I love you Tree and so does Jesus. Go to Church.

Unknown said...

Love this post! Can't wait to see pictures of the old CR stomping grounds:) Sorry we missed you guys when you were in HR. We all had terrible colds and I figure that was the last thing you guys needed to be exposed to. Big Smile, Sarah

Anonymous said...

you're going to hell sprinter life

Amanda said...

Religion has done a lot of good in the world, and it has done a lot of bad. It would be hard to weigh the balance. I like to think there is good in every person though.

Alexis :) said...

If Jesus were around today we would give him his own reality tv show. ...*Tonights Sunday line up following "Menorah Nights", "Bagdads Bad Girls Club" , and "The real housewives of John Smith's Magical Underpants" comes the FOX network's newest show "What Would Jesus Do?" watch as Jesus and his friends party it up after Jesus turns water into wine. Things get really crazy when J.C fist pumps while walking on water! The fun starts at 7 on FOX!

Pete said...

Any group of religious people out there trying to convert everyone to their religion is scary. In our country they are christians. They create an "us against them" mentality and it DOES lead to wars. History has proven that over and over again. Many of them are good people, but the problem is they are followers who can't think independently and they end up going along with bad policy that is counter to their own beliefs. But they can't see the trees through the forest.

Anonymous said...

where can i get one of those "fireman of the year" calendars? xxxcheryll

Chris said...

HA! Tree, you know that fireman calander is yours. nice try

Anonymous said...

The Easter bunny is a pagan fertility symbol which is what Spring is all about.

Post a Comment

 
Powered by web analytics software.
web hosting companies