Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Goodbyes

In the past I haven’t always been a fan of saying goodbye- a lot of drama and to what end? was my line of thinking. This time though, given the length of our trip, the distance we’re traveling, and the obvious preparation to depart, there’s really no getting around it.
True to their form, they have been sad and sometimes tearful. Our loved ones have taken us in their arms, pulled us close, and squeeeeezed their coded message deep into our hearts.  I can’t be sure, but I think please don’t die, we love you is what they’re saying. 
And yet, I’ve come to appreciate the ceremony of goodbye.  I spent the last week in Los Angeles visiting my family and friends in order to say those powerful words.
By punctuating time, I value it more. I realize how important it is to me to share moments, big and small, with those I love.  Goodbye hurts because I’m forced to look at my absence and what it will mean. Eating take-out while my mom and dad’s new kitchen floor was being laid, I thought about how important the transition moments are in life when you’re just sitting around, eating Thai food, while change happens before your eyes, and, then, all of a sudden, the room or person that you’re looking at is entirely remodeled. Not to mention all the birthdays, holidays, and monumental events that I will miss like the day my sister’s boyfriend Phil proposes (can't wait!) or when my friends’ new babies take their first steps. And I want to be the one you call when you’re mad, heartbroken or lonely. I want to be your touchstone, your confidante, your daughter, your sister, your friend. I am going to miss you all.
Yet, I know that like everything in life, this is temporary, and that we are always in flux. I also know that this trip is calling out to our soul; we must go. When we return, we’ll bring all of our experiences in the form of our broader wisdom and deeper compassion home with us to share with you. Much love- STEVIE
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.- MARK TWAIN

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Ones,
When I pulled you close and squeeezed you tightly, my coded message was: "get a cooler, keep it filled with ice, bottled water, and Grey Goose. "
But yes, we do not say goodbye, but rather - we will meet in the Spring, travel safely and take care of each other. LOVE YOU
DAD

Alexis schulman said...

Thanks for making me cry. I love all 3 of you. And my advice is just don't be a dumbass. :) or a "vulnerable adult"

john said...

Stevie, Kayden and Avary are going to miss you everday.

kayden and Avary

Post a Comment

 
Powered by web analytics software.
web hosting companies