Saturday, September 18, 2010

Goodbye Baby Blue, Hello Xanadu!


After several sessions on the foam training board we know as "Baby Blue", Stevie started to paddle into waves all by herself, catch them, stand up, and surf!  I was SO STOKED for her! When Stevie lines up for a wave, watch out.  I've never seen two little arms swing so fast. To get the visual, think Road-Runner legs. Water flies up and swirls around in a blur of motion and then POP, there she is standing up and surfing the wave. 

There was only one thing to do after I saw that a few times. Time to go board shopping! When I buy a board I'll pretty much grab what I want, have it waxed up, and I'll be in the water inside of an hour. Stevie really prefers to take her time when she's shopping. I learned this early on in the grocery store and should have expected nothing less when we ventured off to buy her new surf board. We drove from Oceanside to San Diego hitting every surf shop on the map looking for what Stevie called the "I'll know it when I see it" board. I enjoyed watching the faces of each employee as she went from board to board, isle to isle, shop to shop, and town to town. Those retail clerks had to earn their minimum wage when my lady came in. "I don't care how many fins it has, does it come in pink? No? OK, bye!". 

But my little angel was right. She knew it when she saw it. It was pink. It had flowers. And it was perfect. Everyone... meet Xanadu!

9 comments:

Tom said...

WOW! Now that's pretty. And the surf board isn't bad looking either. :)
hope you guys are having fun
Tom

mom said...

I love reading these posts - they are always good for a happy smile or a belly laugh! You two are living the "good life"! May you always be happy.

Indra said...

Ha, well, let me start by saying AWESOME approach to shopping! I fully agree it's the beat approach. And 2nd..... OMG. Fantastic board! I know you gonna tear things ups with her!

Dad says "really col chickie! I wouldn't have expected anything less colorful."
:-)

Alexis said...

Awesooooome

D said...

I am having so much fun reading about your great adventures. This one brought tears to my eyes, I'm so happy for you two. Ohh! GREAT BOARD! You go Girl!!! Love you lots

Aunt Deb

McStuph said...

Thank you for all the surf lessons my love. You've been incredibly patient, so encouraging, a little tough (he made me go out in 5 foot waves), and VERY supportive. And thank you for my brand new, super-duper deluxe surf board!!! I love it!!! XOXOXOXOXOXOXO!!!!!!

reagan gagnon said...

yessssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! who would have thunk you'd get a surfboard before me? im still borrowing my man's old junky. next time i see you, we will both be ripping. i hope. ;)

Little lava said...

Carry on

mxikan said...

Hey! I've seen that board before!!!!

Post a Comment

 
Powered by web analytics software.
web hosting companies