Thursday, October 7, 2010

Stun Guns

The last time I fired a gun I was 9 years old. It was a small 22 caliber rifle and I was taking the test for my Hunters Safety class. I never actually went hunting. I've never killed bambi. I've never packed heat. I'm not strapped. It's probably for the best. I don't like loud noises and my shoulders are not capable of absorbing the kick of a real gun. I did, however, seriously contemplate the option of carrying a firearm on our trip to South America. In the end I decided it was a bad idea. But a friend mentioned the idea of carrying non-lethal Stun Guns and pepper spray so that we would have some option for self-defense.

As I investigated different guns, the idea gained appeal. They are small, easy to use, non-lethal, and mostly legal. I started researching and found that most stun guns pack between 300-800 thousand volts and will quickly turn an assailant away. A couple places sold stun guns up to 2 million volts, which would go through multiple layers of clothing and stop anything coming at you. I wasn't sold. If somebody was after Stevie, I want maximum consequences dispensed. I kept searching and finally I found what I was looking for, PHAZZERS! I immediately bought 3 of them. Each gun releases 3 MILLION VOLTS and will knock a person out for 45 minutes, during which time they pee and poop their pants (as advertised in the device user manual).

I also purchased 6 cans of Triple Action Mace. Triple Action is insanely powerful. It is a special combination of pepper spray, tear gas, and UV Dye.  I have one can for each car door, one for the main cabin, one for Stevie's purse, one mini-can for the key chain, and one extra because 6 sounded like a good even number.

Do we feel safer? Yes, actually we do. We're not looking for trouble.  We really believe in our good karma and we both have an amazing feeling about this trip. But I have to admit that it is nice to have a little backup. Plus now I can finally get my moneys worth out of that Hunters Safety Class. Bang Bang.  TREE





5 comments:

reagan gagnon said...

wow. i have to say i feel a little better, too. i was hoping you'd opt for a semi-automatic like i used to tote in my fb profile pic, but i'll settle for some phazzers. i dont know what 3 million volts amounts to, but if the assailants are shit-stained and passed out, my bet is you'll have some time to escape. i raise a toast to the self-defense equipment, and breathe a prayer that you never have to use it. ever.

Alexis schulman said...

NRA Forever!!!!

Ruin Running said...

Just a note, I know bringing fire arms across the border to mexico will get you Locked up down there forever. They assume you are suppling weaponry to the Bad guys. Best bet is to befriend a local who will let you use their's during your visit. I would seriously check into Mexican laws on stun guns, before crossing.

Anonymous said...

Pls be sure its legal to take those things into Mexico. Ask the authorities there before trying to take them in.

www.elpotrerochico.com.mx said...

Its not the pirate repellent that we talked about for the round the world sailing trip but I guess that I still feel better about yall's safety.

Post a Comment

 
Powered by web analytics software.
web hosting companies