Thursday, December 30, 2010

Mis Abuelos Son De Mexico

This just in, I'M MEXICAN! It's true. My Dad's side of the family is from South of the border. (Don't worry Arizona residents, I have my papers!) 

My Grandpa's family name is Trujillo, and my Grandma's is Arandas. The Arandas come from a little town two hours north of Guadalajara  called Tepatitlan. Our trip through Mexico would not be complete without visiting the home of my ancestors, especially when they have highway signs named after them! 

















This afternoon we went to Tepatitlan. I sat in the Plaza and watched the people go about their daily routines. Kids road their new Christmas bikes and old men in cowboy hats and boots gazed across the plaza at nothing in particular. 



We walked to the old church which stood like a skyscraper over the homes surrounding it. A hand carved stone wall protected it from the modern world of pavement and electric wires. Walking through the gate was like stepping back in time. 

I peered through the front doors of the church and imagined my great grandfather sitting inside as a young boy, well over a hundred years ago. What did he think about? What were the problems of his day? What did he pray for? What were his dreams? Did the walls of this beautiful church know my great grandfather's secrets? I have faint memories of sitting on his lap as a little boy and staring into his dark eyes hiding under a big cowboy hat. Those eyes gave nothing away, and neither did the walls of the church in Tepatitlan. TREE

7 comments:

Ken Cardwell said...

Nicely written J.
You allowed me to feel it also.
What a wonderful experience for you.

Ken

mamatuya said...

Tree,
I have an old audio tape, made in the 70's, in which I taped your grandfather telling stories about when he was a boy in Mexico. Indra is going to have it put on a CD for all of you. It's wonderful. One of the stories is about how your Grandpa was caught kissing a girl when he was about 14, and the girl's family ran him out of town (they were all riding horses of course).... He rode right over the border into the States! That's how he came to America. A great story . .
Love ya,
mom

- Mexican Trailrunner said...

Tepa! A wonderful town. On weekends they have a 'lace tianguis' that, in spite of a few Made in China puestos, has some really nice homemade lace goods for the house. Or...van. . . ;)

Anonymous said...

Well son here is a little more info on your Great Grandfather, John Paul Aranda (he dropped the "s" some point in time). He was born on June 26, 1895 in Tepatilan. He left home in 1911, he was 16 years old, and worked his way up to the Texas Panhandle. He was a real cowboy and worked cattle and horses all the way north to Colorado, and raised his family in Rifle Colorado (you know the area), and eventually ended up in Oregon where you remember sitting on his lap. He returned home to Grand Junction, Colorado, and passed away in 1986 at the age of 91.
Dad

Anonymous said...

There is no comparison than for a young adult to learn about his ancestors and from where he came...

Anonymous said...

Beautiful
-Little lava

Anonymous said...

Wow. I am so gla you guys stopped there!! Are there Arandas hangin out anywhere? I'll bet some stayed in the area!! So super cool bro.
Love you!
- Sis

Post a Comment

 
Powered by web analytics software.
web hosting companies